Sewing & Fashion Design
The SEWING & FASHION DESIGN course at the LuHi Arts Academy teaches the fashion design process from concept to design to the final product. Ideal for future fashion designers who want to pursue fashion as a career, this course implements the creative design process while learning about fabrics, patternmaking, and how to develop a final garment from design to conception utilizing a sewing machine. Our class will also focus on the importance of sustainability while learning how to upcycle garments. Join us for this creative, one-of-a-kind sewing course where your student can unlock their creativity through fashion!
Instructor Bio | Marcela Pinzon
• As a successful fashion design professional, Marcela has worked in the Fashion Industry in New York City for over 20 years.
• A graduate of FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology), her passion was always in fashion.
• In addition to attending FiT, she studied abroad in London at Regents College, which taught her great exposure to fashion and education outside of New York.
• She worked in the fashion industry as a children’s wear designer and worked her way up in various companies from Director of Design to VP of Design and Merchandising. With a vast experience in sourcing apparel, she has traveled extensively to countries including Paris, London, Italy, China, Egypt, India, and South America.
• Along with international experience, Marcela has designed collections and worked directly with Major retailers, including Macy’s, Walmart, Target, Nordstrom, and Saks.
• She has also designed for major brands, including DKNY, Nicole Miller, PUMA, Laura Ashley, Baby Phat, and Apple Bottoms.
• After many years in the fashion industry and learning all aspects of the business, her passion was always to teach future fashion designers the necessary skills to succeed in college and prepare them for the fashion industry.
• As an online instructor for the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, she teaches advanced fashion sketching and development.
Block 2: Saturdays | January 14, 2023 – February 25, 2023 • (no class February 18, 2023)
Sewing & Fashion Design
MS & HS (6th-12th): 10:00am – 12:00pm
ES (3rd-5th): 12:30pm – 2:30pm
Location: LuHi Campus
Classroom: Lower Level – 102
Instructor: Marcela Pinzon
Seats filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
*Courses subject to enrolled
Level MS & HS: 6th – 12th grade